Author Topic: Surface/plane intersection  (Read 7405 times)

MF

Surface/plane intersection
« on: October 26, 2010, 12:01:50 PM »
Hi Lars,
how can I obtain the 3dpoly (or 2Dpoly) that identify the intersection between a surface and a plane (a "string" at a certain elevation)? I used the "create surface contour" command, but I've had to delete a lot of triangles the accelerate the elaboration time.
Any suggestions? thanks!

Lars

• Administrator
Re: Surface/plane intersection
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2010, 01:04:25 PM »
Hi! I'm not sure of what you wish to accomplish but Surface Contour is probably the best. Use the option "Single contour" to get all intersections of a plane at that elevation.

Otherwise you can attach a dwg with some information on what you want to do.

MF

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2010, 01:36:30 PM »
I have to create a flood plain at a fixed elevation, widening an existing river bed. As you wrote, in this case the "single contour" option is the best way. Thanks

aldebaran

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2010, 05:48:02 AM »
Hi
I have an other question. How can I find the intersection between two surface (a 3d polyline or more )

Lars

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2010, 07:15:12 AM »
I don't know exactly what you are after but to get the intersection between two surfaces (triangulated) you can do a volume calculation, use the "Almost Exact" option.

Use the option for "Plot Cut/Fill as 3Dfaces" and put them on different layers. After calculation you can turn all layers off except one of them (cut or fill). Import the triangles to a file (Edit Surface/Import) and then plot a perimeter.

Hope this helps!
« Last Edit: November 05, 2010, 05:12:11 PM by Lars »