Author Topic: Using CadTools in my work  (Read 9098 times)

Kenan

Using CadTools in my work
« on: September 24, 2009, 09:25:31 AM »
Ok,I haven't got time before to write this, project deadlines are killing me these days but here it is, my first tip, more like way I do some things but ih should be interesting to CadTools users.
One of my favorite commands is Draw...Object/Text/Polyline from coordinates. I use it to prepare plan drawings in large scale for a highway project. This drawings are usually in 1:25000 or 1:50000 scale, used for project overview, just showing basic aligment line and major objects on the road, like tunnels and bridges.
So,CadTools helps me to make these informations really organised in a table format ( using Excell ) and then draw them in AutoCAD using custom made blocks with atributes. Columns in excell are linked to block atributes when you copy them to CadTools ''draw from coordinates'' window. So after you made your blocks and excell tables it's just a matter of clicking to a polyline alingment and CadTools draw's it in seconds.
I use same method for inserting "kilometers" signs on these drawing, because it enables me to use any kind of block for it, so I make some stylish signs rather than generic ones that civil software I use, MxRoad gives.
And, coolest part about this is if let's say your bridge station has changed, you just change it in your excell sheet and draw it in minutes using CadTools, no more changing manually in AutoCAD.  :)  

I will post some pictures soon to show you how to make this work.
I hope this helps you use CadTools more as I found new ways to use it every day.

Apeiron

• every time is something new to learn
Re: Using CadTools in my work
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2009, 12:47:22 PM »
Hello,
Can I ask you what diferent softwares do you use to design tunnels and bridges? I'm interesting to learn something new ... more then autocad and Civil 3D specialy for bridge design and tunnels.

Greetings from Romania
ing. Poleuca Bogdan

Kenan

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2009, 11:41:32 PM »
Hi there.  :)
Well I must say I am not that competent in bridges or tunnel software since I work in highway and railroad design only. I use MxRoad software for that, also used Civil 3D for some time.
But,I can tell you what my coleagues from other departments use, guys that do bridges use Sofistik, http://www.sofistik.com/loesungen/. Since I only get their finished drawings i can't tell you much about it but you can try it.

Apeiron

• every time is something new to learn
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2009, 11:51:33 PM »
Thanks for all you told me.
Greetings
ing. Poleuca Bogdan