Author Topic: surface profiles / profile 3D polylines  (Read 3955 times)

Steve b183

surface profiles / profile 3D polylines
« on: June 30, 2016, 04:09:42 PM »
hi lars

still using this wonderful bit of software on a daily basis

something that I could do with though....when creating surface profiles or what I call Long Sections the elevations can be generated at set intervals..........however when 3D polylines are profiled the elevations are can only be generated at the verticies of the polylines

would it be possible to have elevations at set intervals for the 3D polyline profile so that match up with the intervals and intervals of a surface profile

just a thought

steve b

cr_raul

• MICROSTATION VS. AUTOCAD
Re: surface profiles / profile 3D polylines
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2016, 12:43:15 AM »
hello there ,

there is a way you can do this:
- make a 2D poly and then divide it into segments of whatever length you need (or you can just make a 3d poly with the vertices snapped on whatever points you need in the section) ;
- convert the 2d poly into 3d poly;
- in cadtools - surface -> edit/view surface use "drape 3dpolylines" and "check drape vertices only";
- use "profile 3d polyline" and you get your desired long section.

good luck,
cr

Steve b183

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2016, 04:00:46 PM »
cr
thanks for the reply and what you say is correct

however, i'm working with 3Dpolylines generated from gps surveys of HV cables.......so its not a case of creating a 3D polyline........as i'm stuck with the ones i have

but you've got me thinking of find a lisp file that can add vertices at set interval......another google search !

steve

cr_raul

• MICROSTATION VS. AUTOCAD
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2016, 07:51:34 PM »
- convert a copy of the 3d poly into a 2d poly and use that for xy information
- use measure command on the 2d poly and enter the desired interval for the long section
- in cadtools points/circles -> export point/circle coordinates to excel
- in cadtools draw -> draw objects -> type: polyline vertex and paste the values from the excel created previously by cadtools
this will draw a polyline with vertices at the specified interval and only those points! if you want any other point to be shown in the surface long section you need to add it by hand.
use this polyline in the workflow from the previous post and you wiill have a surface long section along the lines you want

cr