Author Topic: Presentation of a project  (Read 37707 times)

cr_raul

• MICROSTATION VS. AUTOCAD
Re: Presentation of a project
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2010, 12:46:29 PM »
And this is another type for the same bridge . There are three more types but they're all girder bridges and don't look that good .
How about we each post some of our work ?  :) It would be great to trade tips for this kind of job :)

Apeiron

• every time is something new to learn
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2010, 01:11:28 PM »
Congratulations
Look verry nice
ing. Poleuca Bogdan

Kenan

« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2010, 08:01:04 AM »
Looks pretty good,so you did this in Microstation only or you used 3DMax or something else?

cr_raul

« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2010, 04:06:23 PM »
Looks pretty good,so you did this in Microstation only or you used 3DMax or something else?

Only Microstation. It has a new rendering engine from Luxology (producers of modo) and it's a huge leap from the old microstation rendering engine.

Lars

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2010, 04:02:02 PM »
That's very impressive! Do you have any tip on books for visualization with Microstation (Civil earthwork). I'm thinking of doing some of my work in MS, InRoad/Railtrack works better on MS.

So far I've managed to drape a areal photo over a DTM, it's a bit hard to learn without any documentation other then the help file.

/Lars

cr_raul

« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2010, 08:10:01 AM »
That's very impressive! Do you have any tip on books for visualization with Microstation (Civil earthwork). I'm thinking of doing some of my work in MS, InRoad/Railtrack works better on MS.

So far I've managed to drape a areal photo over a DTM, it's a bit hard to learn without any documentation other then the help file.

/Lars

hello Lars,

actually I have some documentation about the new luxology render module that it's not included in the help file but no documentation about doing  visualization of civil works in MS. I learned by myself how to do it. I could give you some tips about the things I made.

Lars

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2010, 08:48:49 PM »
Hope you can fill me in on this. I'm draping a photo onto a surface from InRoads and my problem is that it gets more "blurry" then the original when draped. I'm using the dcdrape palette. I've even tried whit a complete flat surface with same result. So I'm trying to do the same in 3D studio max but I'm a complete beginner on that one to.

What is your experience on draping terrain with microstation? Is it a "dead end".

cr_raul

« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2010, 09:56:20 AM »
Hope you can fill me in on this. I'm draping a photo onto a surface from InRoads and my problem is that it gets more "blurry" then the original when draped. I'm using the dcdrape palette. I've even tried whit a complete flat surface with same result. So I'm trying to do the same in 3D studio max but I'm a complete beginner on that one to.

What is your experience on draping terrain with microstation? Is it a "dead end".

Usually I work (well I used to work because now our subsidy is being closed and I'm unemployed  :'( ) with something we call "photo simulation" like the images I've uploaded on the forum with the bridge. So I get the design drawings from the other departments and model the "whatever is to be modeled" in MS. Then I take the photos on site ,photomatch them and render the shot.

For terrain draping I used this method once :

http://communities.bentley.com/Wiki/view.aspx/Draping_photos_over_MicroStation_models

Another method I've been using is importing the terrain from Google Earth.
I usually use this method more often since I do this kind of work for the biding documentation and we don't have a surveyed model of that area.
When Microstation imports the terrain it captures the image overlay in gray shades(probably copyright stuff) so it's quite useless...but ;) when you import the terrain in MS you must capture the same area from within GE and then replace the black & white image with that captured from GE. It works very well. The picture "1VAR2mic.jpg" in the thread is made with this method.
 The problem about the blurring is that when you render (raytrace or particle trace or whatever kind of rendering that uses illumination - it doesn't happen when you use the simple smooth rendering) a shot, the surface gets an "extra" portion of illumination so this changes the appearance of the image overlay. so you must set the properties of the draped material (in this case the aerial photo) so that it's light neutral (doesn't receive, reflect or refract light).
One more tip is to never try to modify the terrain imported from GE ! MS makes the draping automatically and if you modify the terrain mesh (or bspline surface) the association will be broken and you'll get the image applied on each face of the mesh...quite messy  :D

I could send you an example but it's bigger than the upload limit on the forum so I must email it to you if you want.

Lars

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2010, 07:53:09 AM »
I followed your instructions and at a first glance it seems to work better now.  Thanks a lot!

cr_raul

« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2010, 08:01:04 PM »
i'm glad I could help you!

cr_raul

« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2010, 01:51:29 PM »
I've uploaded on youtube an animation done with microstation. It's the redesign of a major intersection in Craiova City.

This is the link to the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4h_ydADzQKc

Lars

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2010, 05:50:36 PM »
That looks really great! No need for other visualization software than Microstation.

cr_raul

« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2010, 06:56:46 PM »
thanks! But I think it could have been far better if I had the time and hardware needed. The scene is rendered in "smooth" style so there are no shadows, reflections and other light effects so the materials look awful, kinda like a coloured cardboard mockup . It took like 7-8 hours to render the animation with these settings and I did it on my laptop  ;D. I will try these days to render a small part with raytracing  ;)

cr_raul

« Reply #28 on: August 05, 2010, 03:42:49 AM »
I worked some new renderings for the final design of the Craiova passage. This time I've done a far more detailed design and I hope I'll have the time animate it and this time raytrace it...maybe I'll throw some vehicles in there ...

cr_raul

« Reply #29 on: August 05, 2010, 03:43:59 AM »
and part 2