Author Topic: Constrained triangulations  (Read 3407 times)

vagk_18

Constrained triangulations
« on: January 02, 2014, 10:40:55 AM »
Hi, Lars.
Happy New Year and my best wishes for the new year.
I noticed that during triangulation using breaklines, the result isn't the same as the one written in the help file.
The programm is creating "new" triangles with vertices on the apparent intersections of the breakline and the
originaly created crossing triangle. Is there a way to avoid creating these triangles? It is a problem because their vertices don't
have points on these intesections. Maybe an option to check if you want to create them or not. Of course the programm must create
triangles with all the checked points and flip the triangles so that they don't cross with the breaklines.
I 'd like your opinion about this subject.

Lars

• Administrator
Re: Constrained triangulations
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2014, 08:01:17 PM »
Hi!

This shouldn’t be a major problem. It’s correct that the documentation is misleading, it should say that every individual triangle is compared to the breakline and then divided and retriangulated. Since all breaklines are assumed to be a part of the data to triangulate this is one easy way to do it. Adding new vertices at points where triangle legs are crossing breaklines isn’t wrong, you get same result if you use “densify Polyline” on all breaklines before triangulation. The triangulated surface is still correct but there are some extra points added by cadTools.

I’ll try to remember to correct the documentation on this.

/Lars