Author Topic: CadTools compatibility  (Read 12960 times)

baf75

CadTools compatibility
« on: January 05, 2014, 12:29:27 PM »
Hi !

First thank you for the CadTool application which is very useful.

Then I would like to understand better the compatibility of CadTools with different CAD software.
So far I undesrtood that it is compatible with Autocad (full versions 2000 to 2014, but not compatible with LT) and with Zwcad as indicated in Settings "CAD versions and Parameters". However I would like to know if CadTool may be compatible with another CAD software such as : BricsCAD, DraftSight Pro, or ProgeCAD. Do we need to test it to conclude on the compatibility ? If yes, which settings should be considered ?

By the way, in "CAD versions and Parameters" what is the option "Manually (type in self)" ?

Thank you.

Regards,

Lars

• Administrator
Re: CadTools compatibility
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2014, 08:22:01 PM »
Hi!
Nice to know that CadTools is appreciated.

CadTools can be used with any CAD software with identical COM object model as AutoCAD. BricsCAD, ProgeCAD and others built on Intellicad won't work.

Zwcad has a identical COM object model to AutoCAD (the first I've seen so far) and it was easy to fix CadTools.

"Manually (type in self)" option for CAD version Parameter in the settings? This is a sample from the "HelpFile": The first option in the list is "Manually (type in self)", this option is useful if by any reasons development of CadTools is halted and there are newer versions of AutCAD on the market. It would be nice if you could continue to use CadTools on coming AutoCAD versions. What shall i type in?  The string (reference to COM object) used by CadTools depends on AutoCAD versions. Generally you need to change the three last digits so it match your AutoCAD version, the list below may be useful along with some "try and error".

AutoCAD version  Reference string
2000AutoCad.Application.15
2002 AutoCad.Application.15.1
2004 AutoCad.Application.16
2005 AutoCad.Application.16.1
2006 AutoCad.Application.16.2
2007 AutoCad.Application.17
2008 AutoCad.Application.17.1
2009 AutoCad.Application.17.2
2010 AutoCad.Application.18
2011 AutoCad.Application.18.1
2012 AutoCad.Application.18.2
2013 AutoCad.Application.19
2014 AutoCad.Application.19.1

(Can you see the pattern? Three versions on every major number X, X.1, X.2)

CadTools use late binding to AutoCAD's COM object, that's why you need to type in the Reference String.

« Last Edit: January 05, 2014, 09:20:04 PM by Lars »

baf75

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2014, 08:43:21 AM »
Thank you Lars for your quick response.

Indeed I should look to the HelpFile...

Ok I think I understand better the adaptation between AutoCAD versions... for example for AutoCAD 2015 is should be 19.2 so if this is the case I would be able to use Cadtools with AutoCAD 2015 without updating Cadtools but just changing the last digit (providing that COM objects remain the same in AutoCAD 2015).

However it's surprising that most of AutoCAD clones didn't used the same COM objects because I think Zwcad is also built on Intellicad  ( https://members.intellicad.org/members/index.php ) but it is still quite simillar to AutoCAD...

Regards,

Lars

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2014, 10:00:55 AM »
AutoCAD 2015 would be 19.2 (one can never be sure though)

Zwcad used to be built on Intellicad but recently they decided to get a codebase of their own. I'm not sure if this is relevant only for Zwcad+. However my first thought when I got the request from ZWSOFT was same as yours, Zwcad is built on Intellicad and won't work. But it did.

/Lars

baf75

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2014, 11:10:32 AM »
AutoCAD 2015 would be 19.2 (one can never be sure though)
Indeed... but I found there is the command ACADVER which gives I think the requested ID number.

Zwcad used to be built on Intellicad but recently they decided to get a codebase of their own. I'm not sure if this is relevant only for Zwcad+. However my first thought when I got the request from ZWSOFT was same as yours, Zwcad is built on Intellicad and won't work. But it did.
Ok so good for Zwcad, thank you again for your replies.

Regards,

Jan

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2014, 11:15:07 AM »
Guys, I am using Autocad Architechture 2014 on Windows 7 64bit.

ACADVER = "19.1s (LMS Tech)" (read only)

I set the version in the settings of the CadTools to "Manlually" as advised and entered in the field bellow: AutoCad.Application.19.1s (LMS Tech).

I ran the application as admin and I still get an error message when trying to hit any of the icons. Am I doing something wrong or is this not supported on Acad Arch 64bit?

Lars

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2014, 02:15:56 PM »
You should have the alternative AutoCAD 2014 in the drop down list. If not download the latest update.

/Lars
« Last Edit: January 09, 2014, 06:33:29 PM by Lars »

stmlandplan

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2014, 11:55:11 PM »
To whom can we appeal to adapt it to VectorWorks?