Author Topic: Can't start CadTools  (Read 2301 times)

Karlos

Can't start CadTools
« on: September 30, 2021, 03:51:16 PM »
Hello!

I've been trying to run the CadTools (Windows XP SP3 & AutoCAD 2013), but as soon as I double click the shortcut to start the program I get this error:
Run-time error '372': Failed to load control 'ImageList' from MSCOMCTL.OCX. Your version of MSCOMCTL.OCX may be outdated. Make sure you are using the version of the control that was provided with your application.

and the program aborts. The installation was succesfull with no errors reported.
All I can see is a window that says that you should be using comma (,) as a decimal separator in CadTools, after that the error mentioned above appears.

I tried to manually register the mentioned .ocx library (with regsvr32 utility in Windows\system32 folder) but that did not help. Even if I try and delete the .ocx, the program copies the .ocx back and the same error is displayed.

Is there something else I can try? I would really like to start CadTools, because it seems like a nice program that can help me a lot with my work.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers, Karlos

Lars

• Administrator
Re: Can't start CadTools
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2021, 07:17:04 PM »
Hi,

Probably a bad version, your version should be 6.1.98.46 dated 2015-12-09.
Check your current version before and after using this;

Try this one:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-US/download/details.aspx?id=10019

/Lars

Karlos

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2021, 05:02:50 PM »
Hi!

Thanks for the quick reply.
I have that exact version of the MSCOMCTL.OCX file as seen in the attached picture.
I even tried a few other versions of MSCOMCTL.OCX, but program always fails with that error.
Also tried installing the Microsoft Visual Basic 6.0 Common Controls from your link you provided in your reply, but sadly that did not change anything.

Lars

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2021, 08:16:54 PM »
Probably yo need to get rid of all previous keys pointing at wrong version in the registry. Unregister the ocx file an then search for the file in the register using regedit.exe. and remove hat information and finally register the correct version.

Make sure you take a backup of (export) the registry before starting
« Last Edit: October 02, 2021, 09:50:42 AM by Lars »

Lars

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2021, 06:53:06 AM »
Probably yo need to get rid of all previous keys pointing at wrong version in the registry. Unregister the ocx file an then search for the file in the register using regedit.exe. and remove hat information and finally register the correct version.

Make sure you take a backup of (export) the registry before starting

This link might be helpful when searching in the registry for the 2.0 subkey (HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\TypeLib{831FDD16-0C5C-11D2-A9FC-0000F8754DA1}\2.0)
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-US/office/troubleshoot/access/access-crashes-update-ms16-004
Delete the subkey described in Method 2 then use Method 1

Be sure to backup your registry before you begin. You also might need to reboot after editing.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2021, 09:50:28 AM by Lars »

Karlos

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2021, 03:53:17 PM »
Thanks for that info Lars.
I did try to delete those subkeys in the registry (although I only had 2.2 subkey and no 2.0 subkey), but that did not change anything.
Don't know, might be related to the fact, that I'm running this virtualised inside VirtualBox, although I can't see how, but who knows.
Thanks for your help so far.

Cheers, Karlos

Karlos

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2021, 06:06:58 PM »
Hi!

Have been trying to start the CadTools and managed to find an older portable version (1.1.736) which starts just fine.
But with the latest portable version (1.1.748) I get the same 372 error.
Is it possible that inbetween this two versions you changed the mscomctl.ocx version? I don't really know what version is included in this portable one that can start (1.1.736).
Would be nice if I could run the latest version, but if not, have you got any older portable versions available for download somewhere?
Anyhow I did donate yesterday and got this version registered today so thanks.

Cheers, Karlos

Lars

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2021, 08:08:13 PM »
Have you tried to unregister and the register the DLL-file after removing the registry key?

For 64 bit:
Regsvr32 /u "C:\Windows\SysWOW64\MSCOMCTL. OCX"
Regsvr32 "C:\Windows\SysWOW64\MSCOMCTL. OCX"

For 32 bit:
Regsvr32 /u "C:\Windows\System32\MSCOMCTL. OCX"
Regsvr32 "C:\Windows\System32\MSCOMCTL. OCX"
« Last Edit: November 29, 2023, 08:52:55 AM by Lars »