Author Topic: Import Points using Draw from Coordinates Command  (Read 589 times)

Yasir Aman

Import Points using Draw from Coordinates Command
« on: September 16, 2022, 09:45:13 AM »
Good Day Sir,

The Draw from Coordinates command is "almost" perfect. The only option missing is to draw Plain AutoCAD Point Objects at desired coordinates.

I am sure you must have some valid reason for this decision, but I wonder what that reason might be, because in my personal experience the Point Object is the most common object used to process survey data.

Of course we can use a block object that consists of only one point to draw from coordinates and then explode it to get the desired result. HOWEVER, creating a block every time one needs to import data for a new project/drawing soon becomes annoying and time consuming.

Two Humble Suggestions:

First of all, I completely understand that this software is NOT your full-time job or commercial activity, therefore, I do not expect you to completely agree with me and/or follow my suggestions.

That being said, it will be extremely beneficial for users like me to have any one of the following;
  • A separate Import Points Command inside the "Points/Circles" section, which can import Points and include options to draw Point ID, XY Coordinates, Z elevation, Description, etc. (whichever the user needs) on the same layer or separate layers. It will also be helpful if the user can control the Size (text height), Rotation, and position of the text items - e.g. Horizontal and Vertical offset from insertion coordinate.
[OR]
  • Just an option to draw Points in the existing Draw from Coordinates command. The user can import points using this command and can then annotate Elevation using the Annotate Point Elevation command that is already available in the "Points/Circles" section.
I apologize for my lengthy sentences (and probably bad grammar) as English is not my primary language and I am extremely poor at expressing myself using fewer words.  :-[

Lastly, I wish I could emphasize enough that you are doing an amazing service to the CAD & Engineering community by sharing your skills in the shape of this amazing utility. Your time and effort is highly appreciated, and makes countless lives easier - EVERY SINGLE DAY.

Thank you and stay blessed!

Lars

• Administrator
Re: Import Points using Draw from Coordinates Command
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2022, 08:41:48 AM »
Hi,

Thank your for your suggestions.

The "Circle at Point" option creates a Point Object id you set the radius to 0 (Zero). If you look closely ta the radius input box there is a "zero=> point" information.
I've looked in the helpfile and noticed that this informations is missing, this will be fixed.

While developing CadTools my main goal is to design commands in such way that it useful to a majority of users. This may result in a workflow with several steps to get the final result.

/Lars

Yasir Aman

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2022, 01:34:05 PM »
The "Circle at Point" option creates a Point Object id you set the radius to 0 (Zero). If you look closely ta the radius input box there is a "zero=> point" information.

God!!! How could not I see this?
And, now that I see this, I feel truly embarrassed for assuming that you omitted such an important feature for some reason. :-[

I am extremely sorry Sir, but let me once again say that you really are a life saver.

I've looked in the helpfile and noticed that this information is missing, this will be fixed.

Thank you Sir, that's going be extremely helpful.

While developing CadTools my main goal is to design commands in such way that it useful to a majority of users. This may result in a workflow with several steps to get the final result.

I totally agree. Figuring out an efficient workflow to achieve a certain goal maybe tricky at times, BUT once you figure it out, it pays-off for the initial effort pretty soon, as it saves a lot of time and energy, especially when the task is repetitive.

I have developed my own workflows and benefitted from this approach almost every day since last 11 months. I found CadTools in Oct-2021 (and I am glad I did), when I joined my new job, and it has literally changed my working style.

~Much Obliged
  Yasir

Lars

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2022, 02:31:34 PM »
Hi,

That's ok, it's great that you find CadTools useful.

Lars :)