Author Topic: Swept Projection - Vehicle Turning Simulation  (Read 5851 times)

Jeromy

Swept Projection - Vehicle Turning Simulation
« on: August 09, 2013, 01:31:07 AM »
First thing first, Thank you Lars for a powerful (free) tool for projecting swept paths! I am fighting my way through a learning exercise, doing my 1st highway intersection improvement. The biggest hurdle has been assessing wither the max design vehicle can make the turns. By running this tool, I have refined my radius's substantially and increased my confidence in the resulting improvements. Thank you thank you!

Now, I wanted to throw this out there for anyone else doing this. A pooling of ideas for running this model. I am finding that with defining the wheel path, you have to be very careful that the curve radius's transition from one to the next well, or it will not complete the turn. The obvious thing is to take your CL and use that as the path. This is a starting point, you will need to swing wide and use the road to get a big truck and trailer around a tight curve. But I have done it. I have 2 more directions to refine and then concept is complete.
Curious to know what sort of tips and tricks any other users may have with this tool?

Please share :)
Cheers!

Lars

• Administrator
Re: Swept Projection - Vehicle Turning Simulation
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2013, 06:48:07 AM »
Hi!
I create my path by using the polyline tool in AutoCAD. First I start by drawing a short straight line, before next segment I type in “a” (arc) at AutoCAD's command prompt to get a dynamic radius. To add straight parts after arcs use “l” (line) at AutoCAD's command prompt.(still in the initial polyline command)

For me it works best to create paths with as few element as possible, it’s easier to manipulate them by dragging individual vertices later.

/Lars