Author Topic: Presentation of a project  (Read 37640 times)

Apeiron

• every time is something new to learn
Presentation of a project
« on: February 10, 2010, 12:27:52 PM »
Hello,
I'm interested to know what software is good to make some presentations for some projects (infrastructure projects ... roads, highways, tunnels, bridges rail roads).
Thanks in advance.
Apeiron
ing. Poleuca Bogdan

cr_raul

• MICROSTATION VS. AUTOCAD
Re: Presentation of a project
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2010, 02:29:58 PM »
What kind of presentation are you thinking about? Something like rendered pictures or animations?

Apeiron

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2010, 02:32:17 PM »
After I finish the design work at a tunnel ar a bridge I want to make one or more animated presentations with cars and peoples, but with my design plans offcourse.
ing. Poleuca Bogdan

cr_raul

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2010, 02:44:24 PM »
I have done something like that in Microstation. We are using Bentley software for design : MXROAD for road design and Powerdraft for drafting. Now we got license for Microstation and is very easy to make presentations because they are working on the same platform.
I made an animation also but its very large, about 300MB
« Last Edit: November 18, 2010, 11:37:45 AM by cr_raul »

cr_raul

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2010, 02:57:02 PM »
this a render with a terrain image overlay imported from google earth

Kenan

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2010, 12:18:11 PM »
We us MXRoad too to design but also use Dynamite VSP software for visualisation, i highly recommend it cause it makes importing designs from MXRoad or Civil 3D very easy. Just a few clicks and your design is imported to 3DMax, also software is very easy to use,check it out at http://www.3am-solutions.com/

cr_raul

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2010, 11:08:36 AM »
We us MXRoad too to design but also use Dynamite VSP software for visualisation, i highly recommend it cause it makes importing designs from MXRoad or Civil 3D very easy. Just a few clicks and your design is imported to 3DMax, also software is very easy to use,check it out at http://www.3am-solutions.com/

Looks nice but it's not a standalone product, it requires 3dsmax. I wanted to ask you if it requires 3dsmax knowledge or can you do the job just by using it's own commands?

Apeiron

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2010, 11:52:47 AM »
I agree with you cr_paul and I'm sure you need to know 3dsmax and the Dynamite VSP, but the presentation look verry nice.
ing. Poleuca Bogdan

cr_raul

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2010, 12:10:23 PM »
I agree with you cr_paul and I'm sure you need to know 3dsmax and the Dynamite VSP, but the presentation look verry nice.

dynamite is damn nice! especially the road markings options . I have to work a lot to make them. :( . but the main advantage (for me !) in using microstation is that i don't need to buy and learn two more pieces of software. also microstation uses the directx api so I don't need a professional graphics card for rendering. a good gaming card is just enough and you don't have to spend even more money (I'm talking about a few thousand euros) to buy a firegl or quadro (opengl cards) like 3dsmax needs.

Kenan

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2010, 10:36:30 AM »
Well, amount of knowledge needed in 3DMax to use Dynamite is really minimal, you don't use Max as you would without Dynamite, that would require really learning it and it will take ages to master it. Ofcourse you should know basic stuff, and that you can learn in matter of days. So 3Dmax is just a foundation for Dynamite to work, and 90% of work you do trough Dynamite menus and commands so it is easy to use, and that's what they had in mind, nobody want's to learn 2 softwares to do one thing.  ;)

cr_raul, I like you work in Microstation, i try to use it more these days as i found out it's so much more advanced than AutoCAD but it is very hard to convert from 10 years of working in CAD to Microstation. And image handling is like 10000 years more advanced than CAD, i use up to 20 satellite images, 100 MB each, in drawing, CAD freezes up and loads them like a snail,takes 10-15 minutes to load drawing, Microstation is working like its nothing.  ;D

Kenan

« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2010, 10:39:31 AM »
Well i forgot something that makes Dynamite fantastic tool, it updates your drawings instantly, if you change something in your Mx model , no problem, click update in Dynamite and your visualisation is up to date!  8)

cr_raul

« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2010, 11:17:38 AM »
Yup, I used once 4 satellite images at once each of about 400mb and it worked well and I have a dell desktop with 1 gb of ram and integrated graphics   ;D. Microstation is great for 3D design but for 2D design ACAD is far better. Microstation's  main advantage in 3D design (in my opinion) is that you can orbit around the model quickly and precise unlike autocad and it has that sweet accudraw pointer and you can switch drawing planes swiftly with just one button. Plus you have a lot of options for surface and solid creation and since the latest build it incorporates a new rendering engine (from Luxology) that is very fast compared to the quality of images it outputs.
I don't think microstation is that hard to learn. I learned Nemetschek Allplan in college and when I started working in this company I had to learn ACAD and after one year they switched to bentley products and had to learn powerdraft and mxroad.
Anyway dynamite looks "explosive"  :D but here ( in Romania) it's not a common thing to make visualization stuff for road projects so buying this kind of software it's just not feasible. So - in this conditions - Microstation is the best choice because it's actually a CAD environment with visualization modules (rendering, animation, complex shapes etc.) like a CAM software.
I'd love to work with this kind of software but ... try telling that to the managers  >:(

Kenan

« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2010, 03:24:23 PM »
Well I wasn't refering to Microstation as a hard to learn, it's just hard to switch from CAD philosophy of working to MS after 10 years of "living and working" in CAD  :) Some things become a reflex reaction, you don't think about commands anymore just do it. And advantages of MS are numerous, for example MS has such advanced selection options, while CAD just has those stupid square selection boxes,and in road drawings you just have millions of lines that are not easy to select with square only, but as I say I work in CAD and MS so , try to use best of both.
Visualization is the future, and we have more and more clients demanding it so we must adapt and dynamite is very cool.

cr_raul

« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2010, 03:36:35 PM »
well even if I worked with acad for just one year when we switched to microstation I had the same problem and always typed "L" or "F" in microstation  and staring at the monitor asking myself "well...something's wrong here !?!"  :o  I imagine for someone that has been doing this for ten years would be quite annoying , it sure was for me  :D

cr_raul

« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2010, 12:41:39 PM »
Hello to all you guys on the forum! I just finished a new presentation for a bridge and I want to share with you my work. Hope you like it and get some inspiration from it ;)