Author Topic: Export to OpenOffice Calc / csv?  (Read 10384 times)

suchyh

Export to OpenOffice Calc / csv?
« on: January 07, 2010, 02:32:11 PM »
First of all I wish you all the best in 2010!

Thanks for developing this great tool!

Recently our firm switched to OpenOffice and afterwards I cannot use CadTools anymore..because I got this warning:

AutoCAD is not running, or wrong version! (Check CadTools Settings), If running on Vista make sure to run AutoCAD as administrator!

I've double checked that the right version of AutoCAD is set in settings and that AutoCAD is run under administrator privilages (I am running on Vista).

So I expect that this warning is connected with the fact that Microsoft Excel is not installed on my system anymore..

Would it be possible to add to CadTools option to export data not only to Excel but either to OpenOffice Calc or maybe even better to some generic format..for example csv? That would be universal for anybody...

Maybe you can add another combobox to Setting dialogue where you could choose target spreadsheet application or format?

Thanks,
   Hynek Suchy

Lars

• Administrator
Re: Export to OpenOffice Calc / csv?
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2010, 07:51:52 AM »
Hi!

The warning can't be due the fact that Excel isn't on your system, all commands that not involves exporting to Excel should work. Try to run both CadTools and Autocad as administrator.

Open Office? Hmmm..... I don't know, since CadTools only use Excel as a tool to display exported values maby CadTools should use a viewer of it's own.
Then the user could copy and paste the information to any spreadsheet software.

I don't know how much work it is to implement this solution but i will look into it.

/Lars
« Last Edit: January 08, 2010, 07:56:03 AM by Lars »

suchyh

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2010, 08:50:53 AM »
Hello Lars!

Thanks for prompt answer!

I tried to run both AutoCAD and CadTools as administrator and really commands which don't interact with Excel work. That is great! (Did you recently changed something in CadTools because before I used it without administrative privileges?)

Anyway when I try some command with Excel than it ends with warning: AutoCad is not running, or wrong version! (Check CadTools Settings)..

Thank you that you are thinking about implementing this solution with internal viewer..

Hynek Suchy

Lars

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2010, 10:50:43 AM »
Hi!

I've just looked into the code for exporting to Excel and I'm planning to develope a solution that previews data in a internal grid. Data in the grid can be copied and pasted to Open Office (hope it support paste like Excel)

I can't say when it will be available but it's positioned first in my request pipe.

/Lars

suchyh

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2010, 01:02:18 PM »
Hello Lars!

Thank you very much!
I suppose that Open Office supports copy/paste function in same manner as Excel.

Hynek Suchy

Lars

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2010, 07:42:22 PM »
There is a new update available for download! The solution for users that don't have Excel installed is included, hope it works.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2010, 07:44:19 PM by Lars »

suchyh

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2010, 10:28:21 AM »
Hello Lars!

First of all thank you very much for this!

That helps a lot!

I just tested it and it works as it is supposed..
except Export polyline to Excel which shows Error:Subscript out of range
Is it a mistake on my side?

Greetings, Hynek Suchy

P.S.: how is decimal separator determined in CadTools I changed in regional settings decimal symbol from , to . and it still warns me..?

Lars

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2010, 11:52:43 AM »
Probably a bug, I'll fix that.

Lars

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2010, 07:48:48 PM »
The bug is fixed, the new version is now available for download!

suchyh

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2010, 09:13:38 AM »
Hello Lars!

I've just tested new version and everything works fine!
Thank you!

Hynek