Author Topic: Drape 2D line onto TIN Surface to create 3D polyline  (Read 22683 times)

eea123

Drape 2D line onto TIN Surface to create 3D polyline
« on: September 20, 2013, 12:39:17 PM »
I'm having trouble figuring out which command or process on how to do this?  The help file mentions the following under Profile 3D polyline

If you created a simple terrain model by using "triangulate" and then draped the surface with a 3Dpolyline you can use this command for profiling the 3Dpolyline. Select insertion point and vertical scale to plot the profile to current drawing. The start height is placed as a single line text at the beginning of the profile.

I'm really interested in just getting the lines draped.  I have some 2D line elements that represent watermains that I'd like to export into EPANet.  As 2D lines, I obviously get no elevation data.

Thanks.

Lars

• Administrator
Re: Drape 2D line onto TIN Surface to create 3D polyline
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2013, 05:48:44 PM »
Hi!

Convert all lines to 3D polylines with CadTools Convert Command (select all by crossing)
Drape the lines using "Edit/View" and "Drape 3D Polylines". Don't forget to set "vertices only" if you want to get straight lines between junctions.
Use the "Create EPANET Inp-file from DWG" command.

/Lars
« Last Edit: September 21, 2013, 04:31:55 PM by Lars »

eea123

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2013, 01:27:59 PM »
Perfect, thanks Lars.  One of those senior moments on my end.  It was a utility I used in EaglePoint and was pretty sure CadTools could also drape, but for the life of me I couldn't find it.

lsg

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2014, 12:21:33 PM »
Hello
I Think I have the same problema which has been put over above, I need to draw 3d polylines which follow a Tin surface in order to use them later in Epanet. I understand the first step but then ("Drape the lines using "Edit/View" and "Drape 3D Polylines". Don't forget to set "vertices only" if you want to get straight lines between junctions" ) I get completely lost
I would really apreciate it if someone could help me with this matter.

Lars

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2014, 01:40:10 PM »
Hi!

Draping with ”only vertices” will get you lines where every vertex is draped (elevation from surface). If not there will be extra vertices added to the line where the line is crossing a triangle (leg).

/Lars

lsg

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2014, 02:15:03 PM »
Thanks for your answer but i don't know what I have to do, are those commands in civil 3d or in CadTools? because i haven't found them, neither in Civil nor in CadTools. I looked for it in the autodesk manual and i didn't get anything useful.
On the other hand, I don't understand what you mean with "drape". I'm sorry but English is not my mother tongue and when I looked it up in the dictionary, the meaning I get is cover (with a blanket)

Thank you again

Lars

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2014, 03:11:45 PM »
Hi!
The drape command is in CadTools, You'll find it in "Surface, Edit/View Surface". Draping is like dropping a object onto a surface. If the object is a string it will drape (follow) the surface ridges and valleys. To match the surface completely extra vertices must be inserted at every point where the line crosses a triangle.

If you use the drape command without using the “Vertices only” you will get a lot of extra junctions on your lines. This may not be what you need in EPANET.

/Lars

lsg

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2014, 06:01:00 PM »
Thank you!!! I found it!! I've just made a donation.
I need it to my final mayor Project.