Author Topic: Create 3D alignment  (Read 1385 times)

phubb1

Create 3D alignment
« on: May 11, 2021, 06:20:55 PM »
I am having a problem with the create 3d alignment routine.
After creating a surface profile I do the following :-
Pick the left  side vertical line on the profile which I understand establishes the level
Then I pick the horizontal line on the plan view used to create the profile
Lastly I pick the design line on the profile and I get an error stating the "Vertical 3D polyline must start at vertical frame"
I checked and it does start at the vertical line. It also does not extend past the right hand vertical frame line.
However if I pick the right hand vertical frame line sometimes the routine works - but the 3D line created is at the incorrect level by several metres.
I would really appreciate any ideas how to make this work correctly.
Thank you

Lars

• Administrator
Re: Create 3D alignment
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2021, 12:27:04 AM »
Hi,

When you create a profile the frame some data is saved with the profile frame. The stored data are min and max elevation and vertical exaggeration.
The profile is generated from the horisontal alignment you provided by clicking "Select alignment". You need to draw the vertical polyline from the leftmost part of the profile frame.
The start point of the horizontal alignment and the start point of the vertical alignment are combined into the first point of the 3D alignment. Therefore they need to start at same station.

• Execute "Create 3D Alignment"
  • Select the frame (to let CadTools read stored data, min max and exaggeration)
  • Select your vertical polyline in the frame
  • Select Horisontal alignment
  • Done!

phubb1

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2021, 12:19:36 PM »
Hi Lars

Thank you for explaining. I made the error of having the proposed vertical profile line starting at a different height to the exiting ground profile level at the left hand end frame.
Would it be possible though to change this so the proposed profile line can be at a different height ?

Best regards

Lars

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2021, 08:59:21 PM »
Hi,

I don't think that is the problem, you can start at any elevation but you need to start at same station. Snapp your first vertex to the left frame or extend it with a vertical help line to any elevation you please. When you are urged to select the frame , select the horizontal or vertical part of the frame (not the help line)

As an option You may also change value for max to extend the vertikal axis of the frame (when creating the fram)

/Lars

phubb1

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2021, 10:59:32 PM »
Hi Lars

Thank you for the simple solution.
I will try it out.
Also thank you again for your amazing software. I couldn't work without it now.

Regards